Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A little bit pee'd

No nothing to do with horse racing. Unfortunately I happen to be diabetic and of course this means the occasional encounter with medical profession [under great suffrance].

Today I have to undergo a 24 urine test, in other words pee in a bottle for 24 hours instead of down the loo. I've had to hang a sign on the toilet door to remind me to pee in the bottle otherwise I'd have to redo the test. The bottle has to be kept in the fridge too.... between the water jug and the fruit juice. Hopefully I won't absent mindedly have a drink from the wrong bottle.

The reason for all this is to make sure I don't have any kidney problems. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

What's a bottle of fruit juice doing in a diabetic's fridge you might ask? Well my current medication makes me go hypoglycemic in the afternoons occasionally, and fruit juice seems the quickest way to get sugar into my system. Also some medical professionals encourage one to take fruit and fruit juice. I have been given fruit and fruit juice in all my hospital admissions whilst being on a supposed diabetic diet. A plate of strawberries at bedtime gives one excellent glucose levels the following morning. There are a few medical dragons out there who don't adhere to such liberal practices.

Just remember Rob the pee is the bottle in the middle..................

No comments: