Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A beginning

Well here I go…. The world of blogging here I come.

What will I write about? Well just about anything that takes my fancy at any given time. Most will be spontaneous, some will be frivolous [maybe all ;)] and maybe some posts that will be important.

I hope to steer clear of politics… though that will be difficult. There are things in this world that are important to me. I’ll possibly get onto my soapbox now and again, though hopefully not too frequently.

I live in an interesting and reasonably peaceful part of the world, Queensland, Australia. South East Queensland is the fastest growing region in Australia and we have a state premier who calls himself a media tart…. Not a bad bloke really. [Politicians are politicians… just remember. ;)]

I currently live on a [well to me anyway…] a beautiful, tranquil little island, Macleay Island in Moreton Bay. As the crow flies it’s not far from Brisbane, though it is quite a change from suburbia and very much a rural setting. To say it is quiet is an understatement and perhaps not for everyone, but I certainly like it here. If one likes wildlife, especially birds then this is the place to be. I do miss live music gigs though.

I describe myself as quietly creative in my profile. What do I create? I have a broad range of interests but these days my interests are largely focused on 3D graphics, and within that focus, currently on aviation and flight simulation. This is a very demanding and exacting field and involves much research. This activity entails more than just moving polygons around and creating textures. I won’t bore the readers of this blog with 3D graphics however. 3D graphics, computer games, and flight simulation require a blog to themselves. I have heard it said that discussing 3D graphics and especially 3D terminology is one of the quickest ways to empty a crowded room and I guess that is true to an extent.

Digital painting and image manipulation has been a strong interest for the last 19 years or so. I was an early adopter of the Amiga computer, owning and using a number of Amigas between 1986 and 1996… but alas Commodore went belly up and that was end of the Amiga as a mainstream computer. Some of my digital paintings and renderings were featured in the art gallery sections of Australian Commodore and Amiga magazines in the early 1990’s and I was a runner up in at a World of Commodore/Amiga art competition in Sydney in the early 1990’s. I will allow myself to make mention of 2D computer artwork, occasionally in this blog. I have a lot of catching up to do in that area.

One of these days I hope to return to more conventional media such as acrylics or oils. We’ll see.

Other creative interests include photography. This has been a strong, if not consuming interest since the age of 12. I have recently entered the world of digital photography. My film equipment was retired after a disastrous and expensive camera failure at an air show last year. I’m way out of practice with photography and I’m going to challenge myself to get serious again.

Music is important to me and I have dabbled in guitar in the past, though I rarely pick one up these days….. perhaps another challenge? I am more of a listener these days. Musical topics will appear from time to time.

I better not forget psychology either. While psychology is not currently a consuming interest it has been in the past. I was perticularly interested in personality and motivation and also the psychology of perception. There may be undertones of these interests in my blogs from time to time.

Well that’s me…. let’s start the blogging.

No comments: